Do you know about the health benefits of cinnamon? Today, we are discussing about the benefits of cinnamon on your health. So, give a closer look in this article. Yes, cinnamon is also identified as Dalchini that is nothing but an herb. Mostly it is used in cooking and in Ayurveda medicines.
Many people start using cinnamon in the beginning of the cold weather. But the cinnamon contains many healthy wonders therefore; it should be used in all the season. The cinnamon sticks are also known as quill and it is widely available in the form of ground powder or stick form. It is a brown and inner bark of the cinnamon tree, which is used after drying and moves into a cylindrical form called as quill. Ancient Egypt use cinnamon for preserving and added to food to avoid spoiling.
The Chinese people use this cinnamon in mostly therapeutic purpose, for making traditional medicines, in laboratory and animal studies. Also the Cassia cinnamon is recycled for nausea, colds, flatulence, sore menstrual episodes and diarrhea. The cinnamon also plays a vital role to recover energy, movement and strength, and also beneficial for persons who are felling hot in upper portion and feeling cold in feet section.
In Ayurveda, to cure some diseases such as, diabetes, colds, and indigestion, the cinnamon is used as a medicine. The people who are kapha Ayurvedic type are mostly advised to take cinnamon.
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
|0.33 mg (16% DV) Manganese,
0.76 mg (4% DV) Iron,
24.56 mg (2% DV) calcium
The above table shows that the cinnamon contains above amount of nutrient which are calcium, iron, and manganese. Manganese plays an essential role in constructing good structure and bone metabolism because it is superficially works as an enzyme activator. Manganese is helpful to prevent you from anemia, osteoporosis, and signs of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Properties of cinnamon:
The cinnamon has following properties;
- An Anti-bacterial, Analgesic, Anti-fungal, Anti-Infective, Diaphoretic, alterative, anodyne and,
- An Anti-oxidant, carminative, sedative, stimulates, anti-parasitic, stomachic, astringent, hemostatic, anti-septic, hypotensive and depress the nervous system.
Hence, having these extensive properties, the cinnamon is very beneficial for our health.
Health benefits of cinnamon:
The cinnamon has many advantages on our health and some of them are discussed below:
1. Stomach infection: Cinnamon is the best medicine for the stomach infection because it has dominant anti-bacterial properties. In recent researches it is observed that the cinnamaldehyde in the oil extracted from the cinnamon bark is very operative against adenovirus. Also Cinnamon is one of the most operational elements against Campylobact, Escherichia coli, Salmonella etc. Cinnamon tea is also used to treat the stomach infections.
2. Controls Blood Sugar: If you take a little means ½ spoon of cinnamon powder per day the blood glucose level is controlled and therefore it shows the improved insulin sensitivity. Hence, it is very popular medicine to treat Type 2 diabetics. Only Ceylon cinnamon is beneficial for diabetes because it contain coumarin in very low amount. High doses of Ceylon cinnamon can affect the liver therefore consume it in moderation in your diet, proper nutrition, and reasonable exercise. . This is a perfect option for pre diabetics. Cinnamon is also helpful for losing weight.
3. Cancer Prevention: The oil extracted from the Cinnamon bark oil is a favorable solution and it is used as a medicine in the treatment of Melanomas, Tumors, and Gastric Cancers. The growth of lymphoma and leukemia cancer cell is inhibited by the cinnamon. The cancer cells absorb the glucose but the cinnamon plays an important role in maintaining the blood glucose level. Cinnamon is useful to remove bile, prevents colon cancer, and also prevents damage to colon cells.
4. Cold, Sore Throat and Cough:
Cinnamon has warming properties as well as anti -bacterial properties therefore it increases the blood flow and also improves the blood oxygen level to fight infections. It has tendency to inhibit the diseases. So, if you fell the first sign of cough or sniffles either itching throat then try some cinnamon tea. This is an old-style remedy commonly advised during cough and cold and nausea.
5. Reduces Arthritis pain or osteoporosis: Cinnamon plays very essential role in decreasing swelling and pain related with the arteries because the spice encloses anti-inflammatory compounds. The cinnamon is helpful in improving blood circulation and also gives a warming affects because of that the individual having arthritis getting relief from their symptoms. Recent studies indicates that, some people get help from cinnamon tea but other says they get relief from cinnamon based massage oil therefore this will be different from personal testimonial. Cinnamon contains magnesium and this is responsible for the strong bone health, so, it prevents from the osteoporosis or arthritis.
6. Candida Yeast Infections: Cinnamon has antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic, anti-parasitic and antibacterial properties. Because of having such excellent properties cinnamon gives fight to external as well as internal infections. Cinnamon is effective on Candida albicans fungus and Escherichia coli bacteria. If you want to combat the internal Candida impurities and boost your immune system then drink Ceylon cinnamon tea having combination with the cinnamon bark oil.
Avoid sensitive areas because cinnamon can cause frustration and burning sensation. Cinnamon cab be effective in some infections like stomach ulcers, vaginal yeast infections, head lice, oral yeast infections etc. In athlete foot you can take two drops of cinnamon oil in coconut oil then apply on the infected ted area.
7. Lowering LDL cholesterol & triglycerides: The cinnamon is very useful to decrease the LDL cholesterol and triglycerides also maintain the blood glucose level in the blood. The consumption of cinnamon reduced the cholesterol as follows;
- Cinnamon lowers the triglyceride from 23 to 30%,
- LDL cholesterol is decreases by the cinnamon and the proportion is 7 to 27%,
- The percentage of Total cholesterol is 12 to 26%.
There is significant increase in HDL-C or the good cholesterol levels. These all helps to reduce the risk factors for heart strokes, heart diseases, and diabetes.
8. Premenstrual syndrome: Cinnamon is beneficial in the prevention of premenstrual syndrome because it contains high amount of magnesium. The magnesium is very useful to lessen the effects of PMS. The studies advised that manganese rich diet is helpful to decrease symptoms of Premenstrual syndrome.. One thing should be notice that does not consume more than 11 mg of Manganese per day means about 12 cinnamon sticks. The recommended dose is only 2 milligram.
9. Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Cinnamon is also recognized as the digestive tonic. Besides from flavor it also helps in the digestive system. Cinnamon is very operative for indigestion, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, upset stomach, and flatulence. Cinnamon decreases the uncomfortable moods related with IBS particularly the swelling.
Cinnamon is very helpful for removing gas from the stomach and intestines. It is done by destroying bacteria and curing infection in our GI tract as well as allowing gastric juice to function normally. But if you do have stomach cramps or upsets, acidity and morning sickness then drink a cup of Cinnamon tea 2-3 times each, you will find this very useful.
10. Alertness, Memory & Cognitive Growth: Cinnamon plays a very essential role in improving more alert or attention and it decreases your frustration. The Consumption of cinnamon enhances their response times and also increases the ability to remember. Personal or individually people observed the good results in concentration and attention power.
11. Tooth decay & mouth freshener:
Cinnamon has anti-bacteria property and it is widely used to treat toothache and fight bad sniff. Cinnamon plays an essential part in destroying and gives free of damaging bacteria without affecting your teeth or gums. Small pieces of cinnamon can be chewed, or gargled with cinnamon water which serves as a good mouth freshener. The chewing gums, toothpaste, mouthwashes, and mints contain cinnamon oil in some amount.
12. Brain Tonic: Cinnamon is also identified as the brain tonic because it increases the movement of the brain. It supports in eliminating nervous tension and memorial loss. Also, studies have revealed that smelling cinnamon may lift cognitive function, increases one’s alertness, memory and performance of certain tasks and concentration.
13. Cures Respiratory Problems: as we discussed above that cinnamon is very valuable home therapy for common or severe colds. Cinnamon also found to cure, influenza, flu, sore throat and blocking. When a person suffering from cold is recommended that take1/4 tablespoon cinnamon powder with one teaspoon of honey daily for three days. This method is very beneficial to treat sinuses, chronic cough, and cold.
14. Headaches and migraine: Headache due to the exposure to cold wind is readily cured by applying a thin paste of powdered cinnamon mixed in water on the temples & forehead.
15. Pimples and Blackheads: Cinnamon is useful in the removing blood impurities internally. The blood impurities are the main cause of blackheads and pimples. Therefore cinnamon is often suggested for pimples. Also, externally making paste of cinnamon powder with little drops of fresh lemon juice in the pimples and black heads will gives a good result.
16. Immune System: Cinnamon is also beneficial to balance the immune system because it contains anti-aging properties. Make a paste of honey and cinnamon which is good for enhancing the immune system, increasing the longevity of an individual and also removing regular fatigue.
17. Dilution of the blood and advances blood circulation: Cinnamon is a blood thinning agent and it is also responsible for the increase in circulation. This blood circulation supports meaningfully in eliminating the pain. If the blood circulation is balanced then they ensure oxygen supply to the body cells important to higher metabolic activity. The regular consumption of cinnamon reduces the chances of heart diseases.
18. Toning of tissues: Cinnamon may have the capability to tone and squeeze the tissues in the body.
19. Muscle and joint pain relief: Cinnamon contains magnesium that is responsible for bone health. Those who eat cinnamon on a steady basis They get relief in that muscle and joint pain, as well as stiffness, is condensed or even removed.
As above mentioned that paste of honey and cinnamon is often used to pleasure insect bites, because it has anti-healing property also it contains manganese, iron, fiber, and calcium.
- Do not use cinnamon during pregnancy due to emmenagogic effect.
- Avoid the use of cinnamon if you are suffering from intestinal ulcers because of carminative effect.
So, these are the benefits of the cinnamon but remember that take only the recommended dose. This data is offered for informational purposes and is not proposed to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. Consult a doctor before taking any Cinnamon.
I hope, you will find this article beneficial and very informative. So use cinnamon and take its benefits.